There is no lack of hair products out there today. You want it and you can have it. While all those promises made by various brands do seem tempting, you have to remember that at the end of the day, these are products manufactured in factories and will have chemicals in them. For example, sulfates and synthetic fragrances. This is not always a great thing for your curls, which is why many women prefer to stick with natural and homemade hair conditioners.
If you have been thinking of going the natural way, there are several DIY hair conditioners made with easily-available ingredients that you can use to get manageable, soft, and glowing tresses. But the key is to use conditioners specifically suited for your type of hair. In this article, we’ll discuss the six best natural conditioners for Type 4 hair.
About Type 4 Hair
No matter which category your natural hair falls into, Type 4 is known to be amongst the driest hair type and most fragile. To keep your curls moisturized and hydrated you'll need to discover the best natural ingredients for your hair.
Natural Hair Conditioners
This little fruit is known to be good for all hair types, but if you want to deep condition and detangle your Type 4 hair to make it more manageable, here’s what you need to do:
- Mix 1 sliced, overripe avocado with half cup melted shea butter, ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil, and 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar.
- Use a blender to mix everything till the mixture becomes the desired consistency.
- Apply to your hair, put on a shower cap, and wait for 30–45 minutes.
- Detangle your strands and rinse thoroughly for naturally soft, moisturized curls.
You do not even have to buy an aloe-based product, just a leaf from an aloe vera plant in your yard is enough. Aloe soothes your scalp while also removing excess oil but offers a pleasant, light hydration for your tresses.
- Cut a leaf from the stem upward.
- Remove all the gel into a bowl using a clean spoon.
- Apply it to hair that is damp. Start at your scalp and work down towards the hair ends.
- Use a damp, warm towel to wrap your hair and let it sit for 15-30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a sulfate free shampoo.
Olive oil is packed with properties to give you a well-hydrated, shiny crown since it works as an excellent natural moisturizer. For hair types 4, it is recommended that you use olive oil as a leave in conditioner on your natural tresses. It is a light weight and seals in moisture while protecting against environmental changes or heat. Here’s how:
- Take a small amount of olive hair (depending on the thickness and length of your hair) and mix it with twice the amount of plain water.
- Add in a few drops of a fragrant natural oil that you prefer such as jojoba or tea tree.
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle and use it on wet hair.
To rehydrate your hair in addition to repairing hair damage or treating dry hair problems – coconut oil is like a magic cure for your crown. Particularly when it comes to conditioning Type 4 hair. A hot oil treatment is the best way to reap all the benefits.
- Heat the oil in a container by placing it in a pot of warm water. Do not use the microwave to heat as it may strip the oil of its nutrients.
- Test the temperature of the oil in your wrist – not too hot to cause burns but warm enough to moisturize well.
- Part your hair into sections and apply to the scalp as well as the strands.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes before washing off. You can also wrap the oiled hair in a warm, damp towel for extra moisture.
Pure honey makes a great leave in conditioner to moisturize your curls and add a natural shine.
- Add two teaspoons honey with warm water in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in a hair spray bottle and spritz it on your curls.
- Use a towel to dry any excess, dripping liquid.
Mix it up
For added benefits, you can always mix ingredients to reap the benefits of each. Remember to test a small section of your hair to ensure the moisture is the type of moisture you seek and isn't to heavy. Heavier moisturizer are only recommended for extremely damaged or dry hair and often affects or changes your curl pattern and definition.
To strengthen kinky hair without the use of protein conditioners a blend of coconut oil and honey provides moisture retention.
- Mix two tablespoons of pure honey with four tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil in a small cup or container. If you feel your hair length may need more of the mixture, use two servings of the same recipe.
- Place the cup in a large bowl of warm water and let it sit for a few minutes to heat the mixture.
- Apply the mixture on freshly-washed, towel-dried hair.
- Put a shower cap on before wrapping a towel around your hair. This will prevent the natural conditioner from dripping down onto your face.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes before washing off.
- Rinse only 80-90 percent of the mixture.
At the end of the day, your natural crown is just as unique as you are. Explore different conditioners to find one the best suited for your kinky curls. To complement it with more care, use a satin pillow case or cap on your curls while you sleep. Moisturize it as often as you deem necessary, and make sure you keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. It will soon start to show in your crowning glory too.